Celebrate the Season with SCHS’s Christmas Spotify Playlist

Check out the playlist on Spotify to see what students and staff enjoying listening to during December.

Photo found at www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/148710/radio-s-christmas

Roxy Lockard, Staff Reporter

No holiday season is complete without iconic Christmas tunes. SCHS students and staff have a wide variety of preferences when it comes to holiday music that includes a mix of chart-topping hits, never-before-listened, and the oldies-but-goldies, and many were willing to explain why their favorite song appealed to them.  Based on recommendations, Roxy Lockard, journalism staff reporter created a playlist that reflects what is being listened to in December.  You can listen to the playlist here: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5ee2rs6Az3AzNSvF9PsOkI

“Silver Bells”- Bing Crosby (1950)

“It’s nice and calm, but doesn’t bore you. It’s a pretty chill song overall.”

-Cameron Turner, freshman

“Christmas in Hollis”- Run-DMC (1988)

Sometimes, soothing Christmas carols and sappy love songs can get a little boring. Run-DMC’s rap and hip-hop fueled Christmas song provides a new excitement to your listening list!

“Most Wonderful Time of the Year”- Andy Williams (1963)

“It reminds me of Christmas specials when I was a kid.”

– Michael Feeback, faculty

“Yule Shoot Your Eye Out”- Fall Out Boy (2017)

When you think of Christmas artists, the pop punk band Fall Out Boy is the last to come to mind. However, their alternative rock take on Christmas music shatters all expectations of your typical holiday romance song.

“Frosty the Snowman”- Gene Autry (1950)

“Frosty the Snowman, all the way. It’s such a classic- everyone can relate to it. If you go outside and make a snowman, it’s what you think of.”

– Caleb Lindsey, freshman

“Holly Jolly Christmas”- Burl Ives (1965)

Nothing quite gives off pure Christmas spirit like this song. Debuting in the beloved childhood classic Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, this joyful tune will definitely put a smile on your face.

“Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) – Darlene Love (1963)

“I like the old, classic Christmas songs. It’s a fun song, and whenever I hear it, I get in the Christmas spirit.”

– Caroline Burton, sophomore

“White Winter Hymnal”- Pentatonix (2014)

A fond choir favorite, Pentatonix’s lovely cover of the Fleet Foxes song blends haunting lyrics, rhythmic clapping, and melodious acapella into a unexpected holiday song.

“O Holy Night”- Church Choirs or Celine Dion (1998)

“As far back as I can remember, it has always been sung at my church’s Christmas Eve services. It just feels like Christmas has arrived when I hear this song.”

– Leslie Murphy, faculty

“You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch”- Thurl Ravenscroft (1966) or Tyler the Creator (2018)

Many of SCHS’s students grew up watching this beloved Seuss classic, and the original Ravenscroft version will bring you right back to your childhood. Also, with the recent release of the new Grinch movie, popular rapper Tyler the Creator has put his own spin on this favorite.

“All I Want for Christmas is You”- Mariah Carey (1994)

“It makes me so happy and excited when the beat kicks in.”

– Olivia Huffman, freshman

“Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree”- Brenda Lee (1964)

Playing on every holiday radio station you come across, this jazzy Christmas jam never gets old.