• December 12Trim-A-Tree continues thanks to NHS. As of 12/12, Ms. Lewis has a slight lead over Mrs. Hamilton! Who will be the Trim-a-Tree champ?

• November 16Midterms were sent home with students on November 16, 2018. Ask your student to see his report.

The Cardinal Spirit

The Cardinal Spirit

Filed under Entertainment

The Grinch Review: Not Exactly Original, but the Remake is Still Witty

The+Grinch+is+a+family+friendly+movie+that+many+can+enjoy+this+holiday+season.++
Back to Article
Back to Article

The Grinch is a family friendly movie that many can enjoy this holiday season.

Photo found at https://www.ageratingjuju.com/the-grinch-age-rating-movie-2018-pg-rated/

Here we are again: Tis the season to be jolly, and with it comes another rendition of a classic movie. Does there need to be another rendition of Dr. Seuss’s classic tale of an angry old man hating Christmas? In all honesty, probably not. But when kids are out of school for Christmas break, parents are looking for family friendly options to take the kids to, and The Grinch is just that.  Rated PG, young and old movie goers will flock to theaters to watch this together, and for good reason. Viewers will get a good laugh at the simple, yet impactful jokes, layered throughout the film.

Directed by Scott Mosier and Yarrow Cheney, the film’s main protagonist, or antagonist depending on how you look at it, The Grinch, is played by English actor Benedict Cumberbatch. Cumberbatch is known for his roles in movies such as Doctor Strange in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and in the show Sherlock for the BBC in Britain. Cumberbatch brings the Grinch to life with his unique approach to his protral. Cumberbatch portrays the Grinch with an American accent throughout the film, instead of the traditional English accent used in the original 1966 film, making the character more personable to the audience with his lighthearted yet stingy behavior.

Other characters also get a new revamp. The Grinch’s adorable companion Max gets a new look, as if he was dropped out of another successful film by Illumination, “Secret Life of Pets”, and is even more personable than he was in the 2000 rendition. Being light brown, and very skinny, audiences will just want to cuddle the adorable little mutt..  

There’s also a few new characters that make their debut in this variation of The Grinch.  An overweight reindeer named Fred also gets involved into the fray as The Grinch tries his hardest to make himself more and more like St. Nicholas. And another, probably more noticable change, is the age difference of Cindy Lou Who’s brothers, who appear as infants in this movie instead of teens, as in the 2000 film.

The Grinch isn’t one to compare to earlier installments in the franchise. Not only because it’s almost impossible to live up to the expectations, but because it’s simply a different type of film. This film is more tailored to today’s generation, with more references to pop-culture and less of the classic “look to the past” feel. Everything feels new and different and that’s not such a bad thing.

One example of this change is the new version of classic song “You’re a Mean One Mr. Grinch.”  Performed by Tyler the Creator, this version has a new flow that differs from the smooth jazz of the movies past to a new hip hop feel. Bringing in a choir comprised of children to perform the chorus, it’s a new feel that incorporates a flavor of today’s generation.

In all, it’s an adorable film that makes for a good laugh from time to time. It has its flaws, but let’s enjoy it for what it is. A good film that will infect the home of many families for years to come. With a few extra points for originality, the film is receives a rating of 4 out of 5 stars.