• December 12Trim-A-Tree continues thanks to NHS. As of 12/12, Ms. Lewis has a slight lead over Mrs. Hamilton! Who will be the Trim-a-Tree champ?

• November 16Midterms were sent home with students on November 16, 2018. Ask your student to see his report.

The Cardinal Spirit

The Cardinal Spirit

Filed under Sports

Hard Work and Ambition Help Hudson to Excel

• Hudson has been a starting player for the SCHS football team since his freshman year.

Photo provided by Mandi Hudson

• Hudson currently holds records for both the state and the school in shot put and discus.

Photo provided by Mandi Hudson

• Bryan will continue his athletic career at Virginia Tech. His parents have coached him in his track and field events for several years.

Photo provided by Mandi Hudson

It is not often that you will find an athlete that excels in two sports, especially sports that take a lot of time and dedication.  One athlete stands taller than the rest, working day and night to be the best he can. The athlete is Bryan Hudson, a senior at Scott County High School, and he does exactly that in both football and track and field events.

Hudson has been playing football since middle school.  “Ever since I can remember I’ve loved football,” he said.   Now, after years of constant hard work he began his final season of SCHS football with the goal to bring home a state title.  Hudson’s goal was almost achieved on December 1, 2018, when SCHS battled Male High School in the championship game.  Unfortunately, SCHS was not able to pull out a win, losing to Male with a score of 37-20.

Football isn’t the only sport Hudson excels in; he has also been breaking records in shot put and discus since middle school. Hudson now holds the school and state records in both shot put and discus. Being at the top hasn’t slowed him down, and he is looking ahead to the spring and track and field season.   He said that he hopes to “win state… in shotput and discus, and to break the state records, and hopefully the national record in both.”

Hudson’s goals may seem huge, but fellow peers and coaches at Scott County expect nothing less from this young man. This expectation does not go unnoticed by Hudson. “I can feel the pressure, and it can be stressful and hard.  But overall, I feel blessed to have the support. I love it all.” Hudson sees the county’s ever present watch on him as an opportunity to be his best, rather than an annoyance. He feels it gives him a special position as a role model.  He explained that he feels he is “helping younger student athletes by showing them how to act.”  In today’s society, it is important for the younger generation to be surrounded by positive role models.

One characteristic that Hudson demonstrates is hard work.  He believes its importance. “I work hard, and I won’t give up or listen to others.  I know I can do it if I put my mind to it.”  But he does admit that sometimes he can get down despite having goals.  “I need to get better at not letting other people get to me.” He has been working on applying that to all aspects of life, not just sports.

Hudson also made sure to work his hardest even when no one is looking. Coach Monty McIntyre, who has coached Hudson for several years in football agreed that Hudson’s work ethic is admirable.  McIntyre said, “He is a self-motivator. I mean really you can tell him what to do and then you can leave him alone because you know he’s going to get it done. That’s what makes him stand out.“

Bryan is a self-motivator. I mean really you can tell him what to do and then you can leave him alone because you know he’s going to get it done. That’s what makes him stand out. ”

— Coach Monty McIntyre

Along with hard work, Hudson believes discipline is the key to success for both academics and sports.  Hudson understood that these characteristics could help get his college education taken care of financially.

Colleges took notice of the fact that Hudson was disciplined, and as a result, he has received 24 offers to play football or to compete in track of field, including offers from Notre Dame, Louisiana State University, Alabama and Vanderbilt.   Hudson accepted a full ride offer from Virginia Tech, and he plans to play football and compete in track and field.  He decided on Virginia Tech because “it just felt comfortable and like home when I visited.”

Scott County has been fortunate to have been a part of Hudson’s journey, because of the positive role model he has been for members of the community.  The lasting impression Hudson hopes to leave on Scott County is “someone who is helpful, respectful, just a good person. That’s what really matters.   The scholarships, awards and records…if you’re a not a good person, those are not worth much.”