• December 12Trim-A-Tree continues thanks to NHS. As of 12/12, Ms. Lewis has a slight lead over Mrs. Hamilton! Who will be the Trim-a-Tree champ?

• November 16Midterms were sent home with students on November 16, 2018. Ask your student to see his report.

The Cardinal Spirit

The Cardinal Spirit

Filed under Features

Volunteering This Holiday Season Can Be A Meaningful Experience for Students

Back to Article
Back to Article

Looking for ways to give back to your community this holiday season? There are plenty of opportunities to volunteer and make a difference for those in need in Scott County. One doesn’t have to look very far or very hard to find a way to make a contribution to one’s community.  Here are three organizations that would love to have students volunteer with them, not just during the holiday season, but throughout the entire year.

The Amen House, located at 319 E Main St, Georgetown

Their goal is to end hunger in Scott County by having the community share their resources through food or cash donations. They work to support those in need until they reach the point of self-sustainability. At the Amen House, you can volunteer on the third Saturday of each month to help with food clothing and working the front desk.  Students must first submit an online volunteer application (linked below). Xavier Parret, junior at Scott County High shared his experience about volunteering with this organization. “Working at the Amen house is a fun environment; the people are nice and I feel better afterwards.”   

Website: http://amenhouse.org/

Volunteer application: http://amenhouse.org/volunteer/application

The Gathering Place Mission, located at 339 Bourbon Street – Georgetown

The Gather Place is a place where individuals can find new hope and get back on their feet. Their goal is to provide shelter, support, and at least one hot meal a week for homeless men and women. Students can volunteer to work in the office, serve meals through Emmaus Kitchen or through the community kitchen program, help clean up, help lead Bible studies, or lead worship and songs. Those interested can submit an application (linked below) which can be found on their website.

Website: https://www.thegatheringplacemission.com/

Volunteer application: https://www.thegatheringplacemission.com/volunteer-application/

Elizabeth’s Village, 207 S Hamilton St, Georgetown

Formerly known as the Scott County Hospitality House, Elizabeth’s Village provides transitional housing and support to women and children. Their goal is to provide a safe place with assistance for women and women with children. Volunteer opportunities for SCHS students include tutoring in the after-school program. Interest students can call the number on their website to get started.  Scott County High School junior Makenzie Barnes volunteered at Elizabeth’s Village and explained what she did to help this organization. “We moved furniture and cleaned out a room, so the normal volunteers could repurpose the room. I really enjoyed my time at Elizabeth’s Village.”

Website:http://www.elizabethsvillage.org/

To conclude, volunteering this season, or throughout the year, doesn’t have to be complicated. Just contact one or more of the organizations above and make your contribution to the community.

6 Comments

6 Responses to “Volunteering This Holiday Season Can Be A Meaningful Experience for Students”

1. Elizabeth Morgan on December 2nd, 2018 6:41 pm

It was such a pleasure to read Lakyn Russell’s article about volunteering. Kudos to her for encouraging her fellow students to volunteer, and for providing three great suggestions.The holiday season is a great time to become a volunteer, and help make life just a little bit better for those having a hard time, for whatever reason, during the winter.
    Kudos to students already volunteering and to those who start volunteering in their community.
    Great article Lakyn!

2. adviser on December 3rd, 2018 3:12 pm

Yes! So very true! We hope many SCHS students try volunteering with one of these worthy organizations.

3. Tess Thomasee on December 2nd, 2018 6:44 pm

A wonderful article, it’s so refreshing and uplifting to see young people take an interest in their community. Wanting to help others less fortunate. With all the bad things in the news today it’s so refreshing and encouraging to see young people wanting to help those who have fallen on hard times without judging.

4. adviser on December 3rd, 2018 3:11 pm

We agree! We have so many good students that are working hard to help others and we want to encourage others to get onboard! Thanks for commenting.

5. Alyssa Hebert on December 2nd, 2018 9:34 pm

I agree! Volunteering is such an amazing experience and a great way to help others in need!

6. adviser on December 3rd, 2018 3:11 pm

Yes! We want to encourage many of our SCHS students to get involved in our community!

The articles on this site are the work of high school students. We welcome feedback and the reaction of our readers on issues that we report about. We will use comments to improve our publication. All comments will be moderated before published. If you would like to provide feedback to the paper's adviser or to suggest story content, you may email Leslie Murphy directly at [email protected]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Volunteering This Holiday Season Can Be A Meaningful Experience for Students

Features

Keep Holiday Pounds Away With Sensible Eating

Features

Creating Handmade Gifts for your Favorite Teacher Can Be Inexpensive and Fun

Features

Holiday Baking Can Be Easy and Fun

Features

SCHS Students Ready for Thanksgiving Traditions

Features

Busy Students Must Learn Time Management

Features

Fall Fashion Trends of 2018

Features

Quick and Easy Thanksgiving Recipes Can Make Dinner Delicious

Features

D.I.Y. Halloween Costumes: Ideas When Low on Money and Time

Features

Be Prepared for the Polls this Election Day

Features

SCHS Senior Works Hard to Help Others