SCHS Students Ready for Thanksgiving Traditions

Back to Article
Back to Article

https://www.abc15.com/entertainment/events/list-restaurants-open-on-thanksgiving-day-around-phoenix

Elizabeth Parret, Staff Reporter

Thanksgiving weekend is fast approaching, bringing with it a myriad of traditions. These tradition vary from travel, to specific foods that must be eaten, who you see, and even what is watched on T.V.  In a school the size of SCHS, there will be some different variations of time worn traditions that are practiced throughout Thanksgiving break.

Thanksgiving break begins on Wednesday, November 21st, 2018, this year.  For many, the day before Thanksgiving is seen as a day filled with a flurry tasks that must be done for the big day. “I just do Thanksgiving preparations such as thawing out the turkey, and getting the house spick and span for the flocks of friends and family coming the next day,” said senior Rachel Litvin. It should also be noted that if you wait to do your grocery shopping for the big meal until this day, you should be prepared to see mobs that are comparable to Black Friday at Kroger or Walmart.  

Thanksgiving morning is for most is a continuation of the preparation and the start of festivities that often include sports or games. CJ Alcorn,  junior, said “I go play football with all my cousins, and then we go to the church to prepare for our feast.” Junior Austin Taylor, junior, also traditionally has an active Thanksgiving day.   “I eat, and then I play corn hole with my family.”

Some stay at home while others will do some traveling. Sophomore Ashlynn Colcord visits her grandparents every year for a Thanksgiving feast.  But regardless of where SCHS students spend Thanksgiving, the idea of gathering together every year to enjoy the company or family and eating copious amounts of food a tradition that is held by many.

Even in different countries and regions the traditions are similar. Hyojeong Kim, a Korean exchange student explained, “We don’t have the holiday Thanksgiving. Instead, at the start of November we have a holiday… harvest holiday. You see your family, eat a lot of food, and do nothing.” Thanksgiving is an American holiday, but the idea of spending time with the ones you love is universal.

It’s hard to pinpoint why traditions are so valued, but social studies teacher Mrs. Maggie Brewer said it best. “It comes down to your culture… it’s part of who you are.” Traditions grounds us when life gets busy and helps bring the focus back to what there is to be thankful for. These times remind us to treasure and remember things that are truly important, not only on this significant holiday, but each and every day.