SCHS Athletes Commit to Collegiate Play During Fall Signing Ceremony

Nine+SCHS+seniors+committed+to+participating+in+athletics+at+the+college+level+on+November+14%2C+2018.++
Back to Article
Back to Article

Nine SCHS seniors committed to participating in athletics at the college level on November 14, 2018.

Rachel Litvin

Rachel Litvin

Rachel Litvin

Abby Hooven, Staff Reporter

Nine student athletes participated in the fall athletic signing day at SCHS on Wednesday, November 14th, 2018. These athletes signed to play softball, soccer, golf, baseball, and basketball at colleges and universities both in and outside of Kentucky.  Those that committed during this ceremony included the following:

Katherine Wesley—Golf, Georgetown College

Alyssa Woolums—Softball, Lake Sumter State

Caitlin Dawson—Softball, Mount St. Joseph

Trevor Caudill—Golf, Campbellsville University

Trace Wilhoite—Baseball, University of Louisville

Jordan Fox—Baseball, Eastern Kentucky University

Carly Oliver—Softball, Georgetown College

Maaliya Owens—Basketball, Tennessee Tech

Andrew Link—Soccer, University of the Cumberlands

Each athlete faced a tough decision in choosing the right fit for them. Senior softball team member Caitlin Dawson decided on Mount St. Joseph after visiting its campus. “I went on a visit, and I fell in love with the atmosphere and the facilities,” she said. Recruiting can seem daunting, but Dawson had it under control. “I started the recruiting process in 8th grade, but it was never intense or scary,” she mentioned. After receiving four offers, she made her decision and is excited for her schedule to revolve around sports.

However, some athletes knew which school they wanted from the start. Andrew Link chose the Cumberlands after going to ID camps at the school during the summer. “As soon as the window opened for colleges to contact me, I really just focused on this one school,” Link explained. He is excited to continue playing the sports he loves past high school. “Soccer is just my favorite thing to do, all the time, and for me to have at least one more year is amazing,” replied Link. Link’s coach, Nick Maxwell, spoke fondly of him and said, “It was a joy and a pleasure to watch him grow as a player and person. I know he will represent us (SCHS) well and them (Cumberlands) well also.”

While these two athletes chose to stay closer to home, Alyssa Woolums decided to move to Florida for her college experience. “I chose this school, because I didn’t really want to go to a big school and everyone there is like a family. The family feel is very comforting especially since I’m moving far away,” stated Woolums. Jeff Portwood, head softball coach at SCHS, stated that Woolums is “a leader on and off the field, and has a great work ethic.” He enjoyed having her on the team and will miss her leadership.

Congratulations to these students for their hard work in athletics, and we look forward to seeing their success in the future.