• December 12Trim-A-Tree continues thanks to NHS. As of 12/12, Ms. Lewis has a slight lead over Mrs. Hamilton! Who will be the Trim-a-Tree champ?

• November 16Midterms were sent home with students on November 16, 2018. Ask your student to see his report.

The Cardinal Spirit

The Cardinal Spirit

Filed under Sports

SCHS Hosts Meet the Cards Night

Meet+the+Cards+provides+the+opportunity+for+middle+school+and+high+school+athletes+to+share+in+the+excitement+of+the+season%27s+start.++
Back to Article
Back to Article

SCHS Hosts Meet the Cards Night

Meet the Cards provides the opportunity for middle school and high school athletes to share in the excitement of the season's start.

Rachel Litvin

Rachel Litvin

Rachel Litvin

On November 4, 2018, SCHS hosted the annual “Meet the Cards’ event.The purpose of Meet the Cards is to invite the upcoming boys and girls basketball teams from Scott County High School and all Scott County Middle schools to have an open scrimmage style practice.  This event brings hundreds of spectators representing families from all across the district.

“The boys and girls basketball teams split up into the varsity and JV teams, and they play each other. The point is to give the public a sneak peak of the season’s team,” explained senior Ryan Gumm boys basketball manager for SCHS. “It’s an opportunity to create excitement for the upcoming year.”

Michael Moreno, a senior on the SCHS boys basketball team, finds Meet the Cards very rewarding. “It is a time for people to get to look at us and for us to get our first chance of playing in front of people.” He stated, “It benefits us to show us a game setting.”

Junior Morgan Defoor, a member of the SCHS girls basketball team shared, “It’s a chance for the community to come and get to know the teams, and to just have a good time as a whole. We get the feel of the crowd and it’s a good experience for the younger girls that aren’t as comfortable with playing in that type of atmosphere.”

During the event, all teams had the chance to demonstrate to their fans their talent, as both boys and girls junior varsity and varsity teams participated in scrimmages.  There was also a shooting contest held during the evening and junior Michael McKenzie was the winner of that.

Not only is this event beneficial for the basketball teams, it also creates a great experience for other sports, such as the dance and cheer teams. As the cheerleaders displayed tricks, the dance team performed to a pom dance titled, “I Like it.” “It was a  big night to showcase our team to the community,” shared senior Harley Wagoner, captain of the SCHS dance team. “Also, performing really benefited the team. It was a good transition from football season to basketball season.”

6 Comments

6 Responses to “SCHS Hosts Meet the Cards Night”

1. Chris on November 20th, 2018 1:57 pm

It was good. And I like it it was pretty cool

2. Abby sparks on November 20th, 2018 2:03 pm

This is a great article and I’m glad to see that there’s great athletes here

3. laeskippy on November 20th, 2018 2:56 pm

i loved it :))

4. Sam LeQueux on November 20th, 2018 2:58 pm

Glad that the cardinal players are willing to meet the fans and they are so nice

5. neil on November 20th, 2018 3:03 pm

shows our schools basketball organization and the players skills

6. Destiny masters on November 20th, 2018 3:06 pm

It is a great article and im proud to be a part of schs

The articles on this site are the work of high school students. We welcome feedback and the reaction of our readers on issues that we report about. We will use comments to improve our publication. All comments will be moderated before published. If you would like to provide feedback to the paper's adviser or to suggest story content, you may email Leslie Murphy directly at [email protected]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• SCHS Hosts Meet the Cards Night

Sports

SCHS Football Team Marched Its Way to Kroger Field

• SCHS Hosts Meet the Cards Night

Sports

Hard Work and Ambition Help Hudson to Excel

• SCHS Hosts Meet the Cards Night

Sports

Cross Country Sees Successful Season

• SCHS Hosts Meet the Cards Night

Sports

The Reserves: Waiting for Their Chance To Play

• SCHS Hosts Meet the Cards Night

Sports

SCHS Swimmers Prepare for Upcoming Season

• Sports

Pre-Game Rituals Have Intertwined Themselves into Sports

• SCHS Hosts Meet the Cards Night

Sports

SCHS Recognizes Seniors at the 10/19 Game

• SCHS Hosts Meet the Cards Night

Sports

SCHS Volleyball Performed Well This Season

• SCHS Hosts Meet the Cards Night

News

World Language Choirs Tour Scott County to Spread Holiday Cheer

• SCHS Hosts Meet the Cards Night

Features

Keep Holiday Pounds Away With Sensible Eating

SCHS Hosts Meet the Cards Night