• December 12Trim-A-Tree continues thanks to NHS. As of 12/12, Ms. Lewis has a slight lead over Mrs. Hamilton! Who will be the Trim-a-Tree champ?

• November 16Midterms were sent home with students on November 16, 2018. Ask your student to see his report.

The Cardinal Spirit

The Cardinal Spirit

Help Those In Need: Participate in the Canned Food Drive

+Jadyn+Staggs%2C+Graycee+Slone%2C+Katalina+Byrd%2C+Sarah+Bryant%2C+and+Victoria+Saager+make+a+difference+in+the+community+by+collecting+donations+for+the+AMEN+House+at+Kroger.++
Back to Article
Back to Article

Jadyn Staggs, Graycee Slone, Katalina Byrd, Sarah Bryant, and Victoria Saager make a difference in the community by collecting donations for the AMEN House at Kroger.

Photo Submitted

Photo Submitted

Photo Submitted

Carly Necessary, Staff Reporter

When it comes to the idea of “world hunger,” I think we can all agree that we don’t expect to find it in our hometown. However, many people who struggle with finding food, during the holiday seasons and beyond, live right here in Scott County. One of the biggest ways that we can make an impact is by participating in the canned food drive at school. Every year, thousands of cans are collected in order to support local food pantries. Especially around the holiday season, I encourage you to seek positive change in your community by helping collect cans and non-perishable food items for those who are in need. Some easy ways to do this and get others involved are to start a friendly competition in your community, create rewards and prizes, and raise awareness for these local pantries, emphasizing the positive affects you can make on the community.

Competitions are an easy way to get people involved in canned food drives. Here at Scott County, a canned food drive is held annually around Thanksgiving. It allows students to compete for a specific teacher with the goal of collecting the most cans. This is an easy way to get people in the community motivated to bring in cans, and can easily be started in your workplace, churches or schools. Another way to get others involved in creating some sort of reward or prize for the highest amount of cans brought in. This can easily lure students into bringing in more cans, trying to outperform their classmates. Many clubs here at the High School even offer service hours for student who brings in a certain number of cans.

However, before all this, we need to educate the community on the importance of food drives. Like mentioned before, it isn’t common to think of people in your own community going hungry. We need to bring to light these people who need our help during this season of giving. Some might say that it won’t even make a difference, that the few cans they could bring in wouldn’t make a difference in the long run, but they are certainly wrong. Food drives are the most beneficial thing we can do to help out our fellow community members, allowing us to collect thousands upon thousands of cans every year, and every can counts.

It isn’t hard to make a different in one’s community, and it is something that teenagers can certainly do.  I’d like to encourage everyone to strive to make their communities a better place. This season is all about giving, and it’s time for us to come together and make a change. Let’s do that by joining in on SCHS’s annual canned food drive.