Busy Students Must Learn Time Management

Above%2C+Alyssa+Devers%2C+Junior%2C+showcases+her+prized+watch%2C+which+helps+her+keep+track+of+time.+Clocks+have+always+been+a+good+tool+for+keeping+track+of+your+time.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Above, Alyssa Devers, Junior, showcases her prized watch, which helps her keep track of time. Clocks have always been a good tool for keeping track of your time.

Sydney Fitzpatrick

Sydney Fitzpatrick

Sydney Fitzpatrick

School can be difficult sometimes, with requirements like homework and projects added into the already busy lives of students. Some students have even more responsibilities to throw into the mix, like working at a part-time job, or practicing their sport so they don’t get rusty. The list of things students have to do is lengthy, and and sometimes life gets overwhelming with everything that must be completed.

Alyssa Devers, junior, is a student that has quite a bit to juggle in her schedule. “Four to five days I usually work until 9 o’clock or later. The other days I will usually be doing a church event. Sundays I go to church and do volunteer work; Wednesdays I go to youth group at Grace Christian, and Thursdays I lead a prayer group with Bella [Baker]. I usually don’t start homework until 8 or 9, because I usually go straight from school to somewhere.”   Devers has a lot of things going on, and her free time is limited. “I feel like the only free time I have is on Saturdays after work, maybe four to five hours. I probably have 30-45 minutes each day.” She feels pressured to give up things that she truly cares and that are important to her, because she has tasks that need to be completed and take her time.

Devers also acknowledged that she is taking some difficult classes, which demand a lot of time and work. “My two hardest classes are AP Biology and AP English Language and Composition. And I am also independently studying Japanese III.”  Time management is crucial to getting everything that needs to be done taken care of in a timely fashion. So how does she manage to get everything completed? Devers explained her strategy, “Sometimes when I have something to do in every class or I have a lot to do and don’t know where to start, I’ll make a list of things I need to get done, and I’ll prioritize things on the list.”

Devers isn’t the only student with a lot on her plate. Junior Peyton Thacker has multiple things he has to do throughout the week. “I have lacrosse practice at the turf, and I practice at my house. When I’m not practicing, I’m either working at my job, or doing schoolwork. I hang with friends when I can, especially like doing crazy stuff like jumping off of a 40 foot waterfall.”  With all of this, he has a schedule he tries to keep up with. “School’s a given. I wake up at 7:30 each morning and look up at my ceiling because I wrote myself a reminder that I’ve carried on since freshman year. It just says ‘pain leads to success, work harder’. Once school lets out, and since I work 5 days a week, I go bust my butt until about 9:30. Then I come on home and I make sure I practice at least 1 hour, or until I’ve accomplished a personal goal. And sometimes that means skipping dinner or finishing homework at 12 and heading just whatever I gotta do because it’s my stress relief and a way to break away and find myself.”

There are a few things that can help you with time management. You can easily make to-do lists and estimate the time you’ll need for the given tasks, track things by using calendars and organizers, keeping your eye on the clock, and by eliminating distractions or things that waste your time.

This website https://www.lifehack.org/articles/featured/20-quick-tips-for-better-time-management.html offers additional tips on ways to better your time management.