JROTC Hosts Veteran’s Day Ceremony

• Senior Michael Moreno led the invocation at the Veteran's Day program held on November 9, 2018, at SCHS.

Rachel Litvin

• Col Steven Garcia welcomes students to the Veteran's Day program. Garcia is the instructor's in SCHS's JROTC unit.

• Senior Hailey Wells performed "God Bless America" at the start of the Veteran's Day program at SCHS.

Rachel Litvin

• Col Brent Allen spoke to students as part of the Veteran's Day program at SCHS.

Rachel Litvin

• Bob Griffin performed Lee Greenwood's "Proud to Be An American."

Rachel Litvin

• Chester Wilson performs the taps at the conclusion of the JROTC's Veteran's Day program.

Rachel Litvin

On Friday, November 9, 2018, the JROTC unit at Scott County High School hosted a Veteran’s Day ceremony to show appreciation for all those that have served in the United States military to protect our freedom.  The guest speaker was Col Brent Allen, who is also the principal at Western Elementary School in Scott County.  Bob Griffin presented a special musical selection of “Proud to be An American” and Chester Wilson performed the Taps.

Col Allen encouraged the audience to seek out the truth for themselves, and acknowledged that there is too much confusing rhetoric in our country and the world at this moment in time.  He reminded the audience that a free society relies on truth in every endeavor, and encouraged students to demand the truth, while at the same time incorporating it into their lives and to practice the truth daily.

In connection to the school’s theme for the year, Col Allen reminded students to be excellent.  He suggested that they make it their goal to be excellent in everything that they attempted, to always strive to do one’s best, and to expect one’s best from others.

Scott County High School also acknowledged staff members that served our country during the morning announcements on November 12, 2018, and had a moment of thanks for all those than have served.

See the slideshow of images for a glimpse of the Veteran’s Day program.