The Cardinal Spirit

The Cardinal Spirit

Filed under Sports

Cross Country Sees Successful Season

Both girls and boys team qualify for state meet for the first time in ten years

Runners+leave+the+starting+line+at+the+Double+S+Stampede+held+on+September+15%2C+2018%2C+in+the+Scott+County+Park.++
Runners leave the starting line at the Double S Stampede held on September 15, 2018, in the Scott County Park.

Photo Submitted

Photo Submitted

Both the girls and boys Scott County cross country teams had a solid season in 2018.  While the teams didn’t have wins for every meet, they pushed through and overcame obstacles despite a few injuries.  As a result, the Scott County Cross Country boys team was second in the region, and the girls teams ended fifth in the region. The best meet, in terms of placings, for the girls was the Bluegrass Cross Country Invitational. They placed 4th out of 14 teams. For the boys, it was the Greater Louisville Classic. They placed 9th out of 56 teams.

There has been a lot of progress with the team this year. Coach Bryce Robinson, the assistant head coach for both boys and girls, was satisfied with the work of the team this year. He said “It’s been FANTASTIC!!! We’re very excited about the progress the team has made and the program continues to get better and better till we ‘can’t and won’t be beat’. We had hope that both teams would make it to state this year for the first time in ten years!”

The cross country team had 9 meets this year. The Meet of Champions, on October 20, proved to be a successful meet. The boys placed 4th out of 35 teams and the girls placed 5th out of 25 teams. On October 27, the team ran the Regional Cross Country Meet. The boys placed 2nd in the region and the girls placed 5th in the region. Both teams qualified for the state cross country meet.  On Saturday, November 3, 2018, both the boys and girls teams competed in the state meet. It was a very muddy meet, but the weather was beautiful for a day of running. The boys placed 12th in the state, while the girls placed 30th in the state. The teams didn’t do as well as they had hoped, but they still did well considering it was the first time both teams had made it to state in over 9 years.  

There have been many memories made this year. The team had team dinners every Friday night, either at a team members house or Fazoli’s. The team dinners really helped the team bond and grow together. Jake Swicegood, freshman, said that his favorite part of being a member of the team is “being a part of the good team that this is…..and frisbee!”  While senior Preston Lutter said that his favorite memory is “definitely breaking 18 minutes for the first time.”

The team had many experienced runners on the courses this year.  Years of preparation and hard work were evident. For the seniors, this was their last year to leave it all out on the course and to have no regrets. These runners put in a lot of work to make it to where they are today. One of these runners is Bailie Colcord, senior.  “I’ve been running for 6 years and have had a lot of experience. It’s been really interesting to look at my stats and see how I’ve improved, and to reflect and see how I’ve grown as a person.”

I’ve been running for 6 years and have had a lot of experience. It’s been really interesting to look at my stats and see how I’ve improved, and to reflect and see how I’ve grown as a person.”

— Bailie Colcord

[/pullquote]”

1 Comment

One Response to “Cross Country Sees Successful Season”

1. Jasmine on November 14th, 2018 11:53 am

Shout out to my homie Corey

The articles on this site are the work of high school students. We welcome feedback or the reaction of our readers and will use comments to improve our publication. All comments will be moderated before published. Profanity or personal attacks towards the ideas or opinions of the students will not be tolerated or published.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Cross Country Sees Successful Season

Sports

SCHS Hosts Meet the Cards Night

• Cross Country Sees Successful Season

Sports

The Reserves: Waiting for Their Chance To Play

• Cross Country Sees Successful Season

Sports

SCHS Swimmers Prepare for Upcoming Season

• Sports

Pre-Game Rituals Have Intertwined Themselves into Sports

• Cross Country Sees Successful Season

Sports

SCHS Recognizes Seniors at the 10/19 Game

• Cross Country Sees Successful Season

Sports

SCHS Volleyball Performed Well This Season

• Cross Country Sees Successful Season

News

SCHS Demonstrates the Spirit of Giving This Thanksgiving

• Cross Country Sees Successful Season

Features

SCHS Students Ready for Thanksgiving Traditions

• Cross Country Sees Successful Season

Entertainment

Bohemian Rhapsody: A Watchable Film, but Doesn’t Do Queen Justice

• Cross Country Sees Successful Season

News

SCHS Athletes Commit to Collegiate Play During Fall Signing Ceremony

Cross Country Sees Successful Season