The Cardinal Spirit

The Cardinal Spirit

Meocha Williams Navigates Her First Year as SCHS Principal

Meocha+Williams+took+on+a+new+role+as+the+head+principal+of+the+Cardinal+Nation+this+year.++
Meocha Williams took on a new role as the head principal of the Cardinal Nation this year.

Submitted

Submitted

Sophie Kindel, Staff Reporter

On July 1, 2018, Mrs. Meocha Williams began a role new as principal of Scott County High School.  She comes to SCHS with experience as a Spanish teacher at Paul Laurence Dunbar, an administrator at Madison Central High School teaching college and career readiness and as well as Spanish, an assistant principal at Doss High School in Louisville for 6 years, and most recently she served as the Freshman Academy Principal at Bryan Station High School.

Pursuing a career in the field of education was something that Mrs. Williams decided to do because she wanted to help others. The idea of entering the education field was first brought to her attention in the 3rd grade when her teacher mentioned the idea to her.  Williams said “I felt that I had a gift with helping people. I knew I had a way of explaining things to people so that they would understand.” She decided to pursue the job as principal of SCHS so she could continue to help both students and the larger community of Georgetown.  “I wanted to help SCHS. I knew Scott County High School was going through some transitions, combining the ninth grade [school], and then splitting. I would like to help have a smooth transition with the opening of the new high school. We can have two schools that are as equally dominating and great.”  

Mrs. Williams stated that she was drawn to the job at Scott County because of the great things she had heard. “I heard great things about the AP program, and that students were awesome.  I wanted to be a part of that.”

After completing the first quarter as the school’s principal,  Mrs. Williams feels that “We have great students leaders, and we have a very well rounded school, more than just sports which is what is usually discussed in terms of this school. Although our sports teams are great, I believe our excellence stretches beyond that.”

After completing the first quarter as the school’s principal, Mrs. Williams feels that “We have great students leaders, and we have a very well rounded school, more than just sports which is what is usually discussed in terms of this school. Although our sports teams are great, I believe our excellence stretches beyond that.” ”

— Meocha Williams

In terms of what changes Ms. Williams would like to make within our school, she said she would like to have, “More student voice input from students. I would like student council to offer feedback. I also would like to have every class students take be super engaging and build up an authentic learning experience.” So far Mrs. Williams has created both the principal advisory council and student ambassador program to provide further leadership opportunities to all students and to give herself a better system to receive student feedback in terms of change the student body would like to see.

Williams said that the feedback she has received so far has been evenly positive and negative. She said that when approached with feedback she is “Fair, but firm, but I always want to do what’s best for [the] students.”

We can expect to see some changes made to our school by just the end of this year, Ms. Williams said, “I would like to have a smooth transition with the opening of the new high school. We can have two schools that are as equally dominating and great. I want to be on track to be a blue ribbon school.” One of the changes Ms. Williams plans to implement is parent input within the school. She said “As of now I have given a survey to parents to see how they would like to be involved within the school.”

Mrs. Williams has been focused on reaching out to the community of the school that she now leads.  She explained “We’ve been working with Ed Davis and the chamber of commerce, Toyota, Scott United, the Kiwanis club, Rotary clubs, Care to mentoring, Exchange programs from Hong Kong and surrounding colleges and universities. We will also do community forums, so we can have better conversation on what’s happening at Scott County and how it relates to the community. We want to work with community members so we can provide better opportunity for students.”

Short of the changes that she wishes to make to our high school through her principal-ship, Ms. Williams is already making big changes to Scott County, breaking down barriers and shining a light for the students of Scott County.  Mrs. Williams told stated that it meant a lot to her to be the first African American female principal at Scott County High School, “It’s a lot of pressure! We are the fastest growing city in Kentucky. I think we are inclusive, and value diversity. And the SBDM council showed that by selecting me to lead here. But I want people to just say that I’m a principal that cares about her kids.”