The Cardinal Spirit

The Cardinal Spirit

Filed under Opinion

Where’s Our School Spirit?

Rachel Litvin
Junior Lydia Le'Det and fellow cheerleaders try to rally the student section at a recent football game.

Walking through the halls of Scott County High School, anyone could notice the absence or rather lack of school spirit.  It is the thing that is so important, and we need it the most. It is something that only becomes present at school football or basketball games and makes itself known during the occasional school sponsored event or pep rally.  But that’s just not enough.

Some may not see the significance in school spirit whatsoever. You may ask “School Spirit? Why?” and “What’s the big deal anyways?” Well, it is important because it sets the tone for various aspects of the school and its students. The way we feel about our school and how we go through each day is greatly impacted by the pride we have here at Scott County High School. Also, it creates unity which only results in a stronger student body as a whole and furthermore benefits us long term as well. We should participate and engage in any school activities we have to offer. When the student body is involved in events on and off campus, it demonstrates a passion for Cardinal Pride that is amazing and contagious. As soon as school spirit is shown in one person it spreads like a wildfire, but it needs to start somewhere.

Starting on October 8th and going through October 12th, few members of Scott County High School participated in the daily outfit suggestions. “I participated almost every day of spirit week,” said senior Elizabeth Parret, “except for the last day, only because I missed the chance to buy a ‘217’ shirt.” Parret is an involved student at Scott County High School who enjoys and tries to engage in as many school
events and activities as possible. It has been the case where some students that want to be involved, choose not to simply because their peers don’t and they don’t want to stand out. Though in this particular case, we should encourage each other to wear our heart on our sleeve and not be ashamed of the pride we have in our school.

There are several ways anyone can show their pride and appreciation for our school. For example, attending inexpensive games to support our many sports and teams. Not only could you attend several games throughout the school year but also concerts hosted by the Scott County band, orchestra, or choir.
It can also be as simple as purchasing or wearing SCHS merchandise or attire. These are few of many ways in which you can show the love for your school and help us become even more
unified and stronger as we grow.

So, what will you do? How can you show more school spirit? What will be your next or first move in being fully engaged? Will you be the first of all your peers to do so? Be proud of your pride for our school. Show your school spirit rather than hiding it. Be proud to be a Cardinal and join in on activities and supporting our peers!  There is nothing to lose from having school spirit.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Where’s Our School Spirit?”

1. Riley Coy on November 20th, 2018 2:57 pm

You should add a link to the school website for easy access.

2. lydia on November 20th, 2018 3:02 pm

i love this picture and i think our school has alot of schools spirit ! Go Cards!!

The articles on this site are the work of high school students. We welcome feedback or the reaction of our readers and will use comments to improve our publication. All comments will be moderated before published. Profanity or personal attacks towards the ideas or opinions of the students will not be tolerated or published.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Where’s Our School Spirit?

Opinion

Help Those In Need: Participate in the Canned Food Drive

• Opinion

Why I Am Thankful for CARD Time

• Where’s Our School Spirit?

News

SCHS Demonstrates the Spirit of Giving This Thanksgiving

• Where’s Our School Spirit?

Features

SCHS Students Ready for Thanksgiving Traditions

• Where’s Our School Spirit?

Entertainment

Bohemian Rhapsody: A Watchable Film, but Doesn’t Do Queen Justice

• Where’s Our School Spirit?

News

SCHS Athletes Commit to Collegiate Play During Fall Signing Ceremony

• Where’s Our School Spirit?

Sports

SCHS Hosts Meet the Cards Night

• Where’s Our School Spirit?

Opinion

• Where’s Our School Spirit?

Entertainment

Dear Evan Hansen: A Book Review

• Where’s Our School Spirit?

Features

Busy Students Must Learn Time Management

Where’s Our School Spirit?