The Cardinal Spirit

The Cardinal Spirit

SCHS Volleyball Performed Well This Season

Team's Theme of "A Reawakening" Pushed Team Towards Success

Back to Article
Back to Article

Freshman Jasmine Koonce swings for a kill again Henry Clay as Ryann Thomas, freshman, and Annie Pearson, sophomore, look on.

Abby Hooven, Staff Reporter

After two years of losing seasons and teams composed of younger players, the Scott County High School volleyball team experienced a successful season. Even with an offseason coaching change, the team was able to pull out a 24-13 record, good enough for the second most wins in program history. “With a new coach, we had lots of new changes. The whole attitude changed in the program in a positive way,” sophomore Samantha McClanahan explained.  

With four seniors and two juniors on the team, a strong veteran presence allowed the many underclassmen to flourish on the court during their “reawakening”, which was the team’s motto for the year. “We had a great year, but my goal for next year is to continue working hard so we can win the district tournament,” said McClanahan. A loss to Henry Clay in districts ended their season in the semifinals, but the team still achieved some of their goals. “My goal was to be a consistent and necessary player. I achieved part of this goal and spent time making lifelong friends along the way,” junior Taylor Carwile said.

One big goal for the team was to have fun. The team bonded well off the court, which helped their game play improve. “As a team we improved on both skills and teamwork. We became friends through the love of the game,” said Carwile. Sophomore Alora Wilson also commented on the team’s chemistry, saying, “We had a lot of confidence in ourselves and we had great attitudes. Everyone got along.” Both players agreed that the team did better because they enjoyed being around each other.

Of all their wins this season, a few stood out to the team. “Beating Madison Southern to win a tournament was my favorite win. Our game against Christian Academy of Louisville was also a big win,” freshman Jasmine Koonce said. The team also took down #12 Ryle at a tournament and rival Lafayette early in the season.

With all the wins, a few losses stuck with the team as games they wish they could replay. “I’d replay the game versus Henry Clay in districts because we really wanted to win that game, and we could’ve,” Koonce stated. Wilson added, “I would go back to the Frederick Douglass game, because we could have won and may have made the district tournament turn out differently. As a team, we didn’t finish the game strong. We let them take an early lead, and when we got it close in the last set, they went on a run. If we had started the game strong, we could’ve won and gotten better seeding for districts.”  

After a long season, the volleyball team is ready for the offseason slated with club seasons and much needed rest before their journey begins again next year. They are excited for next season and even higher expectations await. “I can’t wait to see how good the team will be,” replied Koonce. “I’m excited for next season because we will know what to expect out of ourselves from this year and try to top that,” Wilson added.