Rae of Sunshine Touches Many at Scott County High School

On Thursday, February 17th, Taylora Schlosser, co-founder of the Rae of Sunshine Foundation, spoke to Scott County High School and told the students her heartfelt story regarding her daughter, Taylor.

Taylor grew up in Springfield, Kentucky and was a sister to her three brothers, Clay, Colton, and Will. She was an energetic and focused young lady who aspired to make everyone she came in contact with smile. In her spare time, she enjoyed spending time with her family and doing activities such as sewing and painting.   

She was double majoring in Integrated Strategic Communications and Digital Media and Design at the University of Kentucky and was a member of the Chi Omega sorority. She was involved in FCCLA throughout her high school career and student government in college. Her sophomore year of college, Taylor was offered an internship at iHeart Radio, where she got to interact with and meet several musical artists. 

Upon returning for her second semester of sophomore year, Taylor took her on life on January 8th, 2019. Her family then decided in honor of her legacy, they would start the Rae of Sunshine Foundation, where Schlosser travels thousands of miles to spread awareness for mental health issues. 

Amongst the miles she has travelled, was Scott County High School, where students had the opportunity to hear her powerful presentation. She spoke about her daughter’s early life and what activities she was involved in throughout middle and high school and college. Schlosser then described the day she found out her daughter was no longer living. She said that she was about to go to sleep and there was a knock at her door. Schlosser told her husband to go answer the door, but she didn’t think anything of it. She had been texting Taylor earlier that day, with her last text message being “I love you too.” Then, she heard her husband call her name, so she grabbed her robe and headed towards the door to see a policeman standing there. She then was told the devastating news about her daughter. She called her oldest son and told him the news and the following day, he called their close relatives and informed his younger brother.

A few days after Taylor’s passing, her family decided that they wanted to turn their grief into hope with the Rae of Sunshine Foundation. The name of the foundation was derived because Taylor was always a “ray of sunshine” who radiated positivity and her middle name was “Rae.”

Through the foundation, Taylor’s family has made it their mission to travel to schools, institutions, churches, as well as several other locations to tell Taylor’s story. According to the Rae of Sunshine Foundation, they work “to bring awareness” and “give back” while emphasizing the “importance of mental health issues.”

If you or someone you know is suffering from mental health issues, please contact https://www.raeofsunshineky.org/ or the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255