Scott County Students Were Met With Success at Kentucky Youth Assembly

This November, students in the Scott County Y-Club participated in a three day conference held by the Kentucky YMCA Youth Association called the Kentucky Youth Assembly (KYA). According to the Kentucky YMCA website, KYA is a “3-day expanded educational opportunity in which students serve as part of a model state government.” This opportunity allows high school students

to debate issues affecting Kentucky, as well as grow their understanding of government and leadership skills.

The Kentucky YMCA holds several conferences similar to KYA aimed at helping students improve themselves and their communities, including the Kentucky United Nations Assembly (KUNA), Leadership Training Conference (LTC), Y-Corps, and more. These conferences are a testament to the Kentucky YMCA Youth Association’s mission: “to develop engaged citizens and servant leaders, inspired to affect change in their school, community, Commonwealth, nation, and world.”

“For me, The Y has really been life changing, and I honestly mean that,” says Tristin Black, who’s serving his second year as president of the Scott County Y-Club. With help from a student-led officer team, Y-Club holds weekly meetings discussing local issues, community service, upcoming conferences, and other beneficial opportunities.

“Through Scott County’s Y-Club and my opportunity to serve as an officer within it for the past three years, I’ve been able to not only sort of build up my own confidence,” says Black, “but also give back to others.”

This year at KYA, Scott County students showed up and showed out. Out of the 21 attending students, 14 of them had special roles, including bill sponsor, committee chair, candidate, and more. Scott County’s delegation had members assisting the student governor in the cabinet, influencing voters’ opinions on bills, and arguing cases in a mock supreme court. When Scott County wasn’t participating in debate, they were lobbying for people to vote for their candidate, Will Schindler.

“I’ve always liked to talk to people but I don’t like to intrude,” says Schindler. “There’s always that thing that starts the conversation, and so me being a candidate, that was a thing that could always spark a conversation.”

With support from his fellow Scott County Y-Club members, Schindler was elected Speaker of the Bluegrass House at KYA next year. The bills presented by Scott County were well received and passed both in the House and Senate, and students celebrated with strawberry smoothies and hugs. Overall, the Kentucky Youth Assembly was an exciting experience for Scott County students, and allowed them to push themselves and grow in new ways while having fun in the process.

To learn more about the Kentucky YMCA and KYA, visit the KYYMCA website