SCHS Canned Food Drive Feeds the Families of Scott County

Scott County High School has been hosting the annual canned food drive for 29 years to help the AMEN House feed the citizens of Georgetown. This event has become a way for students to get involved and help the AMEN House stock warehouse. Normally they do not budget for canned foods because in the past Scott County’s food drive has been enough to provide them with enough resources to feed the families for a whole year. This year, in particular

, the two schools held their inaugural Battle of the Cans, a small competition with a big cause.

The AMEN House provides more than 41% of supplies to families in need. These supplies can range anywhere from clothing to food. Most of the people who get benefits from the AMEN House are working, but they earn too much money to receive any government benefits. This program helped more than 3,000 members of our community in 2017 acquire necessities including canned food collected at the high schools.

To encourage students to participate in this event, the school provides incentives for the students to help raise more cans. One of the incentives for this year was pie-ing an administrator in the face in front of the entire school. Two lucky administrators, Mrs.Williams and Mr.Clement, got pied in the face by two students during this year’s pep rally.

Additionally this year, a special incentive was set for the senior class. If they were to raise at least 750 cans for the Amen House, they would be able to decorate their graduation caps. The senior class exceeded their goal of 750 cans by raising 822 cans, going above and beyond and raising an extra 72 cans. 

The highest amount of cans in pounds that has been raised came from last year at 36,000. The lowest amount of cans that have been raised came from this year at 10,483. With the split between the two schools has been a challenge for the Scott County High School and how much they have raised. But both schools, together, are proud to say that they raised over 20,000 cans that will help benefit the AMEN House cause.