How to Successfully Destress

There is probably never a more stressful time in your life than your years in high school. You have to keep your grades up, pass your tests and excel in your projects, all the while preparing for college and beyond. The workload piles up immensely. Seniors especially understand this. 

Recently, it was National Stress Awareness Day. And as we draw closer to the end of the year, it is a perfect time to make sure you are managing well in the school environment. But above all, it is the time to make sure you are taking care of your mental health. To help, here are 5 tips on how to manage your stress and anxieties.

• Take a step back and reevaluate

Sometimes, working yourself to the limit on an assignment you need to get done isn’t good. While it is good to get your work done as soon as possible, it can very quickly become overwhelming. When that happens, it’s important to take a step back and take a breather. Leave your work alone for some time and try to relax. You can take as long as you need until you’re ready to try again, just as long as you don’t procrastinate and forget about eventually doing it.

• Remember to eat a balanced meal and drink plenty of water

Sometimes it’s hard to get a good nutritional meal every single day for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Maybe there’s no food at home to bring to school, or maybe you don’t like cafeteria food on some days. But your brain needs to get constant energy, especially since you’re still learning and growing. 

Students have been shown to work and study better when they get a good meal, so it’s important to have food – even a small snack between classes – because your body needs it the most. Drinking plenty of water is also good for your body. It’s better to drink water than caffeine, which is shown to aggravate anxiety and even trigger panic attacks.

• Get a good amount of sleep

Sometimes students like to pull all-nighters for many reasons. Maybe it’s to finish a project that’s due in the morning, or they stay on their phones, unaware of the time. Maybe it’s that they’re binging a TV show, or just getting in from work late at night. But one of the most important things for your overall physical and mental health is getting the right amount of hours of sleep. 

The human body needs at least 8 hours of sleep regularly to maintain health, and it can only go so long without rest before beginning to break down. Tiredness has an impact on students at school and it has an impact on their overall work ethic. Students often find nap time in class, but that’s not the place for it. Instead, schedule yourself to fall asleep earlier, so that way you can not only sleep the right amount of hours but get to school on time, too.

• Breath and think positive

If your stress and anxiety are starting to get to you for whatever reason, take slow deep breaths and focus on your breathing. By doing this you can get a grip on yourself and calm down. Try and think about positive things you have done or plan to do later, or maybe remember some funny joke that your friends said the other day. Count your breaths in your head and try to ease any tension. Maybe later you can go out and treat yourself when school is over to feel better.

If something in the classroom, however, is triggering to you and causes you stress and anxiety, perhaps you can talk it out with a teacher or counselor. You can do this to make sure you’re comfortable in your class environment or get a heads up about any potentially upsetting material.

• Open up to someone

Sometimes it may seem like you have no one to talk to. But you can’t go through life alone. Try to open up about your problems with someone. It can be a friend, a teacher, or a family member you talk to. Communication is important and if you’re overwhelmed and stressed by school or other problems in your life; it’s important to know that you can’t go through it alone. It’s important to know that you have assistance. Having someone by your side throughout high school ensures that by the end of your four years, you’ll be much happier and stress-free. 

Take these tips to help you manage your life throughout high school whenever the stress starts to get to you. At Scott County High School, it is important to be passionate, be engaged, be the best version of yourself, and be excellent. But above all else, it is important to take care of yourself.