Robert Pigeon Keeps the Classroom Lively

• One of Robert Pigeon's hobbies is painting miniature army men. Pigeon enjoys the creative outlet.

Submitted by Robert Pigeon

• Robert Pigeon is known for his lively personality and his positive interactions with students at SCHS.

Zoe Tackett

Mr. Robert Pigeon is known for far more than just teaching math at SCHS. In fact, he is probably more known for his fun, upbeat personality and his ability to make both staff and students smile than what he teaches students in his classroom. Almost daily, Pigeon can be seen strolling into the computer lab and greeting students with a friendly “What’s up, yearbook nerds?” or knocking on a classroom door to display a heart sign to a student.

Mr. Pigeon’s previous student, senior Jonathan Munson said, “If I had to describe Mr. Pigeon in three words it would be funny, creative, and outgoing. He is always making someone laugh and he makes class interesting.”

Just like his personality, Pigeon’s life has been far from dull.  Pigeon is the son of Robert and Beryl Pigeon. He was born in England, his mother’s home country, and where his father was stationed during his service in the Air Force. The family moved to California when Pigeon was two, and it was there he lived for seventeen years.

I enjoyed my time in the military, because I got to go places I never would have like Korea. I got to do things I would never have done like rappel out of a helicopter. ”

— Robert Pigeon

Eventually Pigeon decided to join the army, where he stayed for 8 years in order to receive tuition assistance for college, and he renounced his British citizenship in order to get top security clearance in the military. “I enjoyed my time in the military, because I got to go places I never would have like Korea. I got to do things I would never have done like rappel out of a helicopter,” said Pigeon.

Pigeon’s final assignment in the military was in Texas, so he chose to stay there and enrolled at the University of Texas at Austin. He graduated with a bachelors of art in mathematics and went on to earn a masters in mathematics education.  When he graduated from the University of Texas, he stayed in the area and began teaching. Pigeon was also the first member of his family to go to college. “I felt proud. It was tough, especially since I was older than everyone else in my classes, because I had gone to the army first,” he said.

His experience in education has been as varied as his personality. “I taught at Stony Point High School in Round Rock Texas for five years. Then I opened Cedar Ridge High School in Round Rock and taught there for four years.”  

At this point, Pigeon and Tamara, his wife of nineteen years, moved to Kentucky, and he continued teaching.  He explained, “I went to STEAM Academy in Lexington for three years, and this is the end of my second year at SCHS.” said Mr. Pigeon.

Mr. Pigeon’s class is always a positive environment to walk into because of his storytelling and his helpful tips for understanding new concepts.”

— Morgan Rice, junior

Fellow co-worker and math teacher Mr. Jeremy Fink stated, “Mr. Pigeon is a great coworker to have, and he is very knowledgeable about all math content. He is an all around great teacher.”

Students also agree that Mr. Pigeon is an excellent educator.  Junior Morgan Rice said, “Mr. Pigeon’s class is always a positive environment to walk into because of his storytelling and his helpful tips for understanding new concepts.”

On his days away from work he enjoys painting miniature army men.  He started this hobby about fifteen years ago. Mr. Pigeon stated, “It gives me an outlet to be creative and to express myself through art.” He also enjoys bicycling, hiking, especially in the Appalachian area, and spending time with his wife and dogs.