The Cardinal Spirit

The Cardinal Spirit

Filed under News

Scott County High School Students to Study Abroad on U.S. Department of State Scholarships

Back to Article
Back to Article

Katie Booth

Katie Booth

Katie Booth

For the sixth consecutive year, several Scott County students have won national scholarships to study abroad. Funded by the U.S. Department of State, the National Security Language Initiative for Youth allows high school students from across the country to study world languages designated as “critical,” or in high need by U.S. political and economic institutions. Selectively chosen after an extensive written application and intensive in-person interview, three Scott County students will spend six weeks of their summer or a full academic year studying abroad.

Tristin Black, son of Donnie Black and Deidre Barnes, will spend six weeks in Indonesia, studying Bahasa. Megan Carmack, daughter of Mitchell and Stephanie Carmack, will spend six weeks in India, studying Hindi. Justine Davis, daughter of Christopher and Jennifer Davis, will spend a full academic year in China, studying Mandarin.

According to NSLI-Y’s website, “NSLI-Y immerses participants in the cultural life of the host country, giving them formal and informal language practice and sparking a lifetime interest in foreign languages and cultures.” Students chosen for the program learn together as a language cohort with other American students placed in the same city and are supervised under the American Councils for International Education.

Justine Davis, who will graduate early in order to study for a full year in Chengdu, China next year noted that, “Before I enter college, I’ll have had a fully funded study abroad experience in a beautiful country. I’m thrilled that I get to be part of such an amazing opportunity.” Megan Carmack feels the same, stating, “It will be a life changing experience to learn about the language and culture of India. I’m so excited to go abroad and meet people on the other side of the world!”

These students will join the ten SCHS alumni who also studied abroad for free by winning a NSLI-Y scholarship. To learn more, visit: www.nsliforyouth.org/