Thank you, SCHS for Getting Us Ready

Graduation+is+almost+here+for+the+class+of+2019.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Thank you, SCHS for Getting Us Ready

Graduation is almost here for the class of 2019.

Rachel Litvin

Rachel Litvin

Rachel Litvin

For teenagers in a small town like Georgetown, it is difficult to look past Friday night football games, homecoming dances and prom. We come and go out of school every day and before we know it we are buying graduation caps and gowns. School has always been a habit for us and now that habit is changing and suddenly, we are wrapping up our high school adventure.

There are some of us who have been in Scott County since day one. We grew up here with the same familiar faces and places all our lives. Some of us were introduced to our growing little town later on in our lives, but we all found a way to make it home. Our home.

For the past twelve years, we were taught how to spell, how to do long division and how to write five page essays. Not only did we grow academically, but we also grew as people.

Here, we learned how to communicate and how to build relationships with one another as well. We were guided into so many unique directions. Some of us played sports, others read books and others participated in the arts. No matter what, we were surrounded with teachers and coaches that assisted us along the way to grow and make it where we are today. And thanks to them, we now have a class of future players, authors and artists all prepared to go out in the “real world”.

High school is a place where and an endless list of friendships and memories were created. Here, some found their best friend or high school sweetheart. Here is where we decided who our favorite teacher was and could talk to them about anything. This is where we laughed so hard our eyes teared up and our sides hurt. High school was filled with so many moments we will forever cherish and one day look back at and smile.

This road was long, tiresome and sometimes had a few bumps here and there. There was a test you forgot about but ended up passing, and a procrastinated homework assignment done late into the night. There were breakfasts replaced with energy drinks and loads of caffeine in order to plow through the day. There were highlights to our days like the interesting Chemistry labs and seeing your best friend.

Unfortunately there were also the low parts such as the mile run in P.E. or pop quizzes. There were mornings after mornings where you convinced yourself to leave the warmth of the bed just to run out in a freezing car to get to school. Nevertheless, we got through it all, the thick and the thin. We kept our heads up and made it to the end of the road.

High school was a good ole time, but now it is time for us to step out of this building and say farewell to the familiar faces and places we all have gotten to know so well. For some of us, we are venturing far away from our family and our friends into unknown roads. But luckily for us, high school has prepared us for it more than we may think.

We have become stronger, gained confidence and we have grown. We were all once freshman before, just as afraid and lost. Yet we survived the past four years and now, there’s nothing that could stand in our way. And no matter how far away we go or how long we’ll be gone, Georgetown will still be here when we get back.

Soon, we will be walking across the stage at graduation with diplomas in our hand and caps on our heads. The crowd will be filled with weeping mothers and dads attempting to get the ceremony on video. Our minds will be flooded with mixed emotions trying to decide whether we are glad this day has finally come or if we already miss it. With the end of the ceremony, it’ll all be officially over.

High school has been beneficial for the long run and we should be thankful. Thankful for the memories, the teachers and the experience, and also how well it has prepared us for the future, and because of that we have less of a reason to worry about what we will be doing after this. We can say farewell to our high school days and move forward to start the next big step in our lives.