Moxie: A Book Review

Moxie has been a popular book choice among students at SCHS this year.

Photo hosted by Amazon.com

The book Moxie was written by Jennifer Mathieu and was published in 2017 by Macmillan Publishing Group.  Moxie is based in a small town in Texas where high school football is very important. Vivian, sixteen, starts a feminist revolution at her school by making anonymously-written zines.

At Vivian’s school, East Rockport High School, the football team basically runs the school.  They get away with everything including sexist comments during class, explicit t-shirts, and inappropriate touching.  The main offender is a boy named Mitchell Wilson. Wilson is the team’s star quarterback and happens to be the principal’s son.  Vivian is inspired to find a way to make her school’s population understand that sometimes consequences are needed for one’s actions.  

Vivian is very upset about how much people get away with, as anyone would, so she makes zines and puts them in all of the girls bathrooms.  She got her inspiration from her mother’s “My Misspent Youth” box that has old pictures, zines, and music from her teenage years. These zines then encourage a bunch of other girls at Vivian’s school to make a change.

Life gets complicated when Vivian meets Seth, a new kid at school.  Vivian is very intrigued by him because he doesn’t look like the other guys in her school.  After a while, Seth and Vivian start dating. Seth supports her Moxie movement, but sometimes not enough for Vivian’s standards.

As Vivian’s Moxie movement grows, other girls at school create their own zines.  They also hold bake sales to raise money for girls’ sports uniforms. Although, the bake sales were banned from school property, they continued at other locations in town.

I found it so easy to read because it has to do with a topic I am passionate about.  Feminism shines through in Moxie, with Vivian trying to change her school’s sexist ways in a realistic manner.  There was also authentic language used by the Vivian, which made it easy to relate to because the dialogue used was what normal teenagers would use.

While reading the book, I really loved the layout.  It was very simple and easy to follow because it stuck with Vivian’s point of view.  Although, the best part was the full page pictures of the zines Vivian created. I was surprised that the zines were actually in the book because most books would just explain what it looks like.

The characters’ development was really good as well.  You got to learn about them as the book went on. It didn’t tell you everything about them as soon as they were introduced to the story.

Not only was Vivian’s feminist movement powerful, there was also talk about a rape in her school.  I felt that it was a good book to address the issue of rape because Vivian talked to Seth about the importance of believing the victim.  Although, the way the rape was dealt within the book wasn’t the best. Rape should be reported, investigated and handled with care.

Overall, I really enjoyed reading Moxie. It is an easy read that is realistic when talking about real problems in our world.  Using the location of a school in this young adult book makes it easier to connect to the intended audience.