Wrestling Team Has Satisfying Season

• Frank Chisley, freshman, earned a spot in regional competition. This was impressive since it was also his first year on the team.

Elizabeth Parret

• Junior John Hulette takes on his opponent at the regional wrestling competition.

• Truman Galusha, senior, will continue to wrestle at the collegiate level at the University of the Cumberlands.

Elizabeth Parret

• Juniors John Hulette and Truman Galusha talk with a fellow wrestler from South Oldham High School. The wrestling community is a tight knit community that emphasizes respect and good sportsmanship.

Elizabeth Parret

• Senior Truman Galusha, 8th grader Gus Roberts, and sophomore Jack Hauke celebrate the fact that they wrestled at the state competition.

Elizabeth Parret

The SCHS wrestling team grappled their way to a successful season because of many hours of practice, concentration and applied strength.  This year, ten wrestlers qualified for regional competition, with three of those moving on to the state level.

The thirteen boys that made up the team this year trained since October in tough, physically trying practices. Coach Franklin Crossman, who coordinates the conditioning for the team on Tuesdays and Thursdays, described those practices.  “We have the boys start with stretches, followed by a two mile run. Then we have stations based on if it was an upper body day or a lower body,” said Crossman.

When the boys are not conditioning with Crossman, they are working on technique with Head Coach Thomas Castle and Kirk Theurer. These practices are filled with match after match, each boy going against each other. These practices are considered by many on the team to be a great force in bringing the team together. 

There is no other high school sport that compares to what wrestlers go through. You are asking a teenager, in front of everyone, to have their pride displayed. With wrestling, you can’t hide… If you lose, you lose.”

— Frank Crossman, assistant wrestling coach

11 team members qualified for regional competition. The all day meet was held at North Oldman on February 9th, 2019. The team made a great showing, and at the end on the day was 6th in the region with 96 points.

The three Scott County boys that wrestled at the state meet were senior Truman Galusha, junior John Hulette, and 8th grader Gus Roberts. At the end of the first day Hulette had lost his second match, thus ending his season. The second day of the state meet both Galusha and Roberts lost their matches, unfortunately ending their seasons as well.  

Wrestling has more benefits than winning titles or improved physical condition.  It brings a strong bond that lasts. Junior Jack Hauke said “We are all really close.  We do so much together, so we know each other really well.”

Other members appreciation the sense of community that participation on the team brought.  Freshman Chase Little explained “It’s a really good community, everytime I walked into the wrestle room I could feel the sense of family.”

The wrestling team has room to grow, and this sport makes it unique among others.  Crossman explained, “There is no other high school sport that compares to what wrestlers go through.  You are asking a teenager, in front of everyone, to have their pride displayed. With wrestling, you can’t hide… If you lose, you lose.”