Scott County Dominates at Mock United Nations Conference

Tristan+Black+was+elected+the+General+Secretary+of+KUNA+for+2020.++
Back to Article
Back to Article

Tristan Black was elected the General Secretary of KUNA for 2020.

Submitted

Submitted

Submitted

Serving as delegates of the world’s intergovernmental body, debating with a purpose, and passing international bills of reform in front of thousands of their counterparts aren’t the usual weekend activities for most teens. However, for those students involved in KUNA, this is a weekend that is eagerly anticipated.  

SCHS’s Y-Club attended the Kentucky United Nations Assembly (KUNA) March 17th-19th in Louisville. Students ranging from freshmen to seniors engaged with others from across the Commonwealth to simulate the international diplomacy that exists in the real world.

As delegates of the countries Rwanda, Myanmar, Tajikistan, Russia, and Democratic Republic of Congo, SCHS students participated in structured debates with other delegates, who also represented various countries. The Scott County delegates presented problems involving their countries and proposed resolutions to the room. In a democratic process, the committees then voted, either passing or failing the resolution.

Out of 69 Resolutions presented at KUNA, only three advance on to the highest level of debate: General Assembly. Every 1200 conference delegates listen, discuss, and ultimately vote on the Resolutions at General Assembly.

This year, SCHS sophomores Taylor Diamond, Chelby Black, Allie Viney, and junior Makenzie Barnes were one of the the three teams representing one of the three resolutions advancing to the final round. Representing the country of Rwanda, the SCHS delegates proposed making the current Big 5 of the United Nations the Big 6. The Resolution would give a country within Africa a permanent seat, along with the United States, the United Kingdom, the Russian Federation, China, and France.

With the goal of promoting more equality in the UN, the Resolution Sponsors from SCHS gained overwhelming support from their fellow delegates. Barnes, a member of the resolution team, said being a sponsor was a challenging yet fulfilling experience. “When you present, you have to shut your mind down and take a deep breath. But when it finally passes, it’s amazing. I don’t know how to describe it,” she explained.

The true highlight of the conference came when Tristin Black, junior, was elected KUNA’s 2020 Secretary General. Black scored the highest ranking position one can achieve at a KUNA Conference, being the very first Scott Countian to do so. Black describes the instant his name was announced as “pure elation.”

“In the moment my name was called, I felt as though an immense pressure was removed from my shoulders,” he explained. “For years, I had been tapped as “the one” who would become Scott County Y-Club’s first ever elected SecGen, and for years I dreamt of proving all those who doubted myself and others in Scott County wrong.”

Maggie Brewer, a Social Studies teacher at Scott County High School, was inducted into the Advisor Hall of Fame this year as well. The devotion she has given to both students and the conference for more than ten years was recognized as she was presented the award. “I am truly so humbled to have been nominated and chosen. I have so much admiration for the students in our Y-Club and for the people that work for the Y,” Brewer said. “This award means so much to me, because it’s from my students and because it’s from an organization that I love.”

Junior Sammy Smith, who presented his advisor the award, believed no one was as deserving of such a recognition than Brewer. “I have never met someone more caring than her. No words can truly encapsulate what she does in terms of caring every day for not just our club, but for the school,” he said.