Math Teachers Celebrate Pi and Its Significance

Pi Day is a holiday in March that many math teachers celebrate with their students.

Photo hosted at https://www.cnn.com/2017/03/14/us/pi-day-things-to-know-trnd/index.html

Every year in schools around the world, math teachers celebrate the unofficial holiday called Pi(π) Day. This day occurs on March the 14th, because the first three numbers of Pi are 3.14.  Math lovers know that (π) is the ratio of a circle’s circumference to its diameter. This holiday is celebrated in many math classrooms in Scott County, in a variety of different ways. “I like pi day because we get to eat food and not do as much work. I also got to bring in fudge rounds for my fellow classmates,” said Luis Vazquez, senior.

Pam Wells, a Biomedical Sciences village math teacher at Elkhorn Crossing School, is one math teacher who offers a large variety of activities for Pi Day.  She starts by showing her students a short video of the numberphiles calculating Pi with small pies.

One activity that Ms. Wells conducts includes making a long paper chain to represent pi. In this activity, a specific color of paper will symbolize a certain number, so when the pieces of paper are chained together, it will make pi.

Another activity allows students to show their creative side. Students will color ¼ of a circle, and then combine their ¼ with 3 other students, to make 1 circle. She also encourages students to bring in a pie, so that they can calculate pi on it. Mrs. Wells tries to make pi day enjoyable for all of her students, and students usually leave ECS that day excited about math.

Kayla Day, pre-calculus and advanced placement statistics teacher at SCHS, as well as Michael Marshall, geometry and calculus teacher, are or have in the past involved their students on Pi day by letting them bring in pies and have a fun work day. This is a common practice on Pi day, because it is often seen as a way for students to connect with their fellow peers through pie. “I enjoy it because of the food and the great puns,” said Isaac Mahoney, senior, who wrote a math related joke on the board for all to see on pi day. Teachers do this because it is an easy way to create a day in the school year where students can enjoy delicious treats while still making progress for the day.