Olivia Little Devours Books: 185 Completed and Still Counting

English+teacher+Annette+Manlief+devoted+an+entire+bulletin+board+to+the+books+Olivia+Little+read+this+school+year.++But+the+board+was+not+large+enough+to+document+the+185+books+she+had+finished.++
Back to Article
Back to Article

English teacher Annette Manlief devoted an entire bulletin board to the books Olivia Little read this school year.  But the board was not large enough to document the 185 books she had finished.

English teacher Annette Manlief devoted an entire bulletin board to the books Olivia Little read this school year. But the board was not large enough to document the 185 books she had finished.

Submitted by Annette Manlief

Submitted by Annette Manlief

Submitted by Annette Manlief

Everyone has their own passion.  For some, it’s cooking. For others, it’s sports. But for senior Olivia Little, it’s reading. Olivia discovered her love for reading when she was around 11.  “I’ve always loved to read,” she said. “Reading means going into a different world, and away from my everyday life.”

While Olivia reads a wide variety of genres, she prefers romance or fantasy the most.  Her favorite series has been Harry Potter. “It’s nice to imagine that a world like that exists, and it’s really well written.  I also enjoy that you see the world from Harry’s perspective,” she said.

As an avid reader, Olivia learned quickly to take advantage of libraries and the librarians that run them.  Mrs. Lisa Ferrara, Olivia’s freshman year librarian, was one of her biggest supporters. “I remember one time before spring break, Mrs. Ferrara let me check out 19 books just to see if I could get through them during the break,” said Olivia.  She did get through all those books, plus some.

While Olivia credits her freshman librarian as having a big impact on her, Olivia’s current school librarian believes that Olivia has made a difference on her.  Mrs. Lauren Feeback, the librarian at SCHS said, “I love Olivia. Students like her make me feel like the things that we teachers do actually makes a difference. She even told me once that she wanted to be a librarian.”

Pullquote Photo

Reading means going into a different world, and away from my everyday life.”

— Olivia Little, senior

Another member of SCHS that has noticed Olivia’s passion is English teacher Annette Manlief, and she had made it a point to recognize Olivia for her reading.  Manlief has devoted an entire bulletin board in her classroom to all the books that Olivia has read since school started in August. Currently, Olivia has finished 185 of them.   

The idea came about when Manlief was looking for ideas on what to put on her empty board. “I wanted to embrace the culture of literacy, and I always keep track of my own readings, so I brought it into my classroom.” Manlief has a board that highlights what she has read this year, and then she has one for her students to add what they have read.  But since Olivia is such a prolific reader, she needed her own board to show off what she has finished.

Fellow students have taken notice.  “Students are in awe,” Manlief said. “They are actually shocked. Some kids don’t realize how much other kids actually enjoy reading.”  Manlief felt some students initially found the board confusing because they don’t spend their own free time reading. “I explain to them that Olivia chooses to spend her free time that way, and now I feel like the bulk of my students like our board.”   

Olivia didn’t know what to think about this type of recognition initially.  Olivia said, “At first, I was sort of embarrassed, because I’m already a nervous/anxious-ridden person, and it brought attention to me. But now I’m used to it, and I guess I would say I’m proud.”