The Cardinal Spirit

The Cardinal Spirit

Filed under Sports

Esports and Competitive Gaming Arrives at SCHS

Esports+is+a+new+club+sport+offered+at+SCHS+this+year%2C+and+it+also+sanctioned+by+KHSAA+since+electronic+gaming+continues+to+increase+in+popularity.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Esports is a new club sport offered at SCHS this year, and it also sanctioned by KHSAA since electronic gaming continues to increase in popularity.

Photo Submitted by Bob Fender

Photo Submitted by Bob Fender

Photo Submitted by Bob Fender

Esports is a international online gaming competition with a high number of participants. According to ESPN, there are over 28 million fans and supporters of esports, and those numbers are growing by 21% a year. Esports arrived at SCHS this year, and it is also recently been sanctioned by KHSAA (Kentucky High School Athletic Association).

With interest in esports growing rapidly and being popular amongst teenagers, social studies teacher Mr.Grant Stringer and business/management teacher Mr. Robert Fender made the decision to create a SCHS team. Seventeen students signed up to create this year’s team, and both Stringer and Fender are happy with the number of students participating.  This year is also the first year that any high school has had an official esports team.

Stringer agreed to take on the responsibility of head coach because he has always been competitive and has had a passion for video games for a long time. “KHSAA has provided an opportunity for SCHS students and other schools to raise the bar on the professionalism and competition within the world of esports,” said Stringer.  They have plans to increase the number of members involved next year by finding opportunities to engage students and show them it is something easy to get involved in the world of esports. 

The great thing about this activity is it gives students that may have never participated in school activities a chance to be a part of a team.”

— Robert Fender, Assistant esports coach

Competition season began for all three teams on February 26th, 2019 and runs until April 26th, 2019, where students are playing a team fighting game called “League of Legends.”  Students have been divided into three teams: Team Carnage, Team SCHS, and Team Point Blank. Students compete from their home school, which makes it easier and less expensive for many schools to compete against each other.  The only time teams will need to travel is for the state tournament which is April 29th through May 20th.

Students involved have been pleased with the first year of esports at SCHS.  “It’s fun to be able to take part in a team in a game that I usually play casually but now competitively,” senior Ethan Williams stated.

Fender is glad that he was willing to give this new program a try for SCHS students.  He said, “The great thing about this activity is it gives students that may have never participated in school activities a chance to be a part of a team.”  

1 Comment

One Response to “Esports and Competitive Gaming Arrives at SCHS”

1. Joe Angolia on May 11th, 2019 12:25 pm

Thank you for your coverage of the esports program.

The articles on this site are the work of high school students. We welcome feedback and the reaction of our readers on issues that we report about. We will use comments to improve our publication. All comments will be moderated before published. If you would like to provide feedback to the paper's adviser or to suggest story content, you may email Leslie Murphy directly at [email protected]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Esports and Competitive Gaming Arrives at SCHS

Sports

New Rivalry Sparks With the Opening of GCHS

Sports

Wrestling Team Has Satisfying Season

Sports

Lacrosse Season Looks Promising for SCHS Teams

Sports

SuperFan App Launches at SCHS

Sports

The Trek To 1,000 Wins: Hicks Achieves Success Through Hard Work

Sports

Swimmers Move On to State Competition

Sports

Fifth Annual Donna L.J. Murphy Award to be presented at 2019 Mr. and Miss Kentucky Basketball Awards Ceremony

Sports

Rough Road to Recovery: Drumheller Works Hard to Return to the Stage

Sports

SCHS Girls Basketball Athletes Reach Scoring Milestone

Sports

Michael Moreno: Injury Keeps Him Off the Courts for 6 weeks