Great Crossing High School Will Operate on the 5 Cs

Great+Crossing+High+School+will+open+for+students+and+staff+in+August%2C+2019.++Joy+Lusby+will+be+the+first+principal+of+the+school+and+has+spent+this+school+year+making+plans.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Great Crossing High School will open for students and staff in August, 2019.  Joy Lusby will be the first principal of the school and has spent this school year making plans.

Great Crossing High School will open for students and staff in August, 2019. Joy Lusby will be the first principal of the school and has spent this school year making plans.

Artwork Submitted

Artwork Submitted

Artwork Submitted

The countdown until Great Crossing High School opens on August 21, 2019, is slowly dwindling. As construction moves into its final phase, excitement in the Scott County community is increasing as it prepares to greet its second high school.

While construction continues on schedule, Principal Joy Lusby has been working on the preparations to welcome the first group of students in August.  Great Crossing High School has a tentative staff in place, and fall sports coaches have been selected. Lusby will continue to hire additional teachers and coaches for spring sports, but one area she has focused on in particular is developing the culture of Great Crossing High School.

Lusby’s way of building culture will be through her 5 C’s, which are the principles that each student will follow. The 5 C’s are commitment, collaborate, communicate, compassion, and culture. She stated, “The 5 C’s will provide GCHS overarching concepts that guide our decision-making, our thinking, and force us to stay focused on these concepts that I believe will make Great Crossing High School a place students and staff will want to be.” Lusby wants to focus on the development of school culture because of its link to success. “I’m a firm believer that (including staff) if you work and attend school in a place where people are kind, respectful and helpful, productivity and success will surely follow,” she said.

The 5 C’s will provide GCHS overarching concepts that guide our decision-making, our thinking, and force us to stay focused on these concepts that I believe will make Great Crossing High School a place students and staff will want to be.”

— Joy Lusby

Another big focus is creating a welcoming culture for students and staff. This starts with students who are passionate about becoming a Warhawk and that can spread that excitement to their peers. Junior Emma Spencer has a lot of positive energy regarding attending GCHS in August and happily shares it with others. “I’m most excited about having a chance to experience something brand new. As an incoming senior, it will be surreal to be a part of the first graduating class,” said Spencer. Creating a place where everyone can feel at home is something she aims to achieve at GCHS as an upperclassman.

Spencer also hopes to boost school pride so everyone can be excited about being a Warhawk. She explained, “School pride is crucial in maintaining a positive school culture. Having school spirit makes high school exciting and causes students to take pride in their school.”

The opening of a second high school will also create a friendly rivalry between the two, and many feel this will result in more school spirit.  Spencer said, “The rivalry between the two schools will inevitably boost school pride. Students at Scott County and Great Crossing will push each other to be more passionate than ever before.”