Girls Basketball Team Deserves the Support of Students

• The students often choose a dress up theme for the games to create a sense of unity.

Elizabeth Parret

• Students celebrate with the team when the ball makes it into the basket.

Elizabeth Parret

• Students that attended the games all said they enjoyed the time spent with fellow students.

Elizabeth Parret

• Student athletes want the support of their student body at games.

Elizabeth Parret

Huge crowds, screaming fans, and proud parents all lined up to watch the remarkable Scott County High School boys’ basketball games this year, especially once tournament play began. Tweets were broadcasted, friend groups planned an enjoyable night out, and the B team section overflowed with students. However, for girls’ basketball games, a majority of SCHS students fail to attend. There are few warm hearted chants and little support for this exceptionally talented group of ladies. With their hard work and determination this season that has resulted in a trip to the state championship game, the Lady Cards deserve that extra amount of encouragement that comes from having a large cheering section.

It’s no secret that the number of supporters often affects the team’s execution on the court. Senior team member Juliette Smith acknowledged this.  “The energy of a larger crowd helps out a lot….it just pumps up your adrenaline.”

There are times when the game is not going well for the team, but support from their fans is enough to motivate them to keep on trying until the final buzzer sounds. Senior basketball player Maaliya Owens explained, “When people are in the stands cheering, it really makes the atmosphere more fun to play in, and during the big games it can be that extra motivation you need to make those big time plays.”

Not only have these low numbers affected the athletes, but the spectators that do show up to support the girls that been impacted as well. B team leader senior Evan Anderson stated, “The last girls game was the regional championship at EKU against Henry Clay. The student section was in the single digits. In contrast, for the Sweet Sixteen game against Covington Catholic the student section for the boys’ games was probably over a hundred.” The extensive gap discourages the Cardinal spirit at these events, despite the efforts of the ones that are there. “Obviously with lower attendance there is a lesser amount of cheers, excitement, and support for the girls than the guys,” Anderson explained.

However, the attendance difference between girls and guys games are not just a Scott County issue. This is a national pattern and Anderson acknoweldged that as well.  “For example, just look at the difference between Memorial Colosseum and Rupp Arena on respective game days. It’s an issue that, unfortunately, doesn’t have that great of a solution. It’s hard to get attendance up, but it can definitely improve.”

Regardless, Mrs. Chloe Ford, the SCHS faculty sponsor for the B-team, has worked with students to increase student support of athletic teams this year with several strategies to entice students to participate. “In order to try and improve participation at games, the school has provided pizza, free rides to games, and discounted tickets. We have been able to offset ticket prices by working with community partners like Bluegrass Orthopedics. I have also been working with Mrs. Murphy, Mr. Haywood, Mr. and Mrs. Helton, and Mr. Wells to blast social media with information about the games to try and get the community involved, ” she explained.   In addition to support from teachers and staff members, the girls’ team is also being helped by the boys’ basketball team.  “Sometimes we will see some of the boys players in the stands, and they will come to us after the game to tell us good job. It really means alot to have support from them,” Owens stated.

The end of the season is almost here for our Lady Cardinals.  They will compete in the state tournament for the second consecutive year in a row, and they deserve the support of our student body.  It would be the right thing for students to do by showing support for their hard work by attending the Sweet 16. Mrs. Ford understands that there’s also another added benefit. “Once people come and watch the girls play they get hooked and have to go to the next game, because they are just so fun to watch!”

The next upcoming game is Wednesday, March 13th at noon at Rupp Arena. Tickets can be purchased at the door or online at Ticketmaster. There is a free pep bus, and students can see Mrs. Ford to sign up.

“We need support for BOTH guys and girls and to break the cultural standards that say they aren’t equal,” Anderson said.  “The girls’ team is making history!”