SCHS Student Hannah Tirlea Wins State Runner-Up at Poetry Out Loud Competition

Hannah+Tirlea+recently+was+named+the+runner-up+in+the+state+Poetry+Out+Loud+competition.++Judges+for+the+contest+included+well-known+KY+authors+Frank+X+Walker+and+Frederick+Smock.++
Back to Article
Back to Article

Hannah Tirlea recently was named the runner-up in the state Poetry Out Loud competition.  Judges for the contest included well-known KY authors Frank X Walker and Frederick Smock.

Hannah Tirlea recently was named the runner-up in the state Poetry Out Loud competition. Judges for the contest included well-known KY authors Frank X Walker and Frederick Smock.

Submitted

Submitted

Submitted

Hannah Tirlea, daughter of Jeff and Arianna Tirlea and a senior at SCHS, recently won second place in the state Poetry Out Loud competition. Competing against students from across the Commonwealth and judged by two of Kentucky’s Poets Laureate, Hannah recited three acclaimed poems of her choosing in front of a large audience at Frankfort’s Capital Theatre.

Scott County High School was named a grant recipient by the Kentucky Arts Council to fund participation in the competition, and students worked with SCHS teacher Jennifer Beckett during their enrichment period to prepare. Participating students also prepared by taking part in a workshop led by professional storyteller Mary Hamilton and competing in the school-level competition, judged by professionals from the community with expertise in language arts, drama, and storytelling. As the school winner, Hannah Tirlea represented SCHS with distinction by winning runner up. She will attend Transylvania University in Lexington, KY in the fall.

Supported by the Kentucky Arts Council, the National Endowment for the Arts, and the Poetry Foundation, more information about Poetry Out Loud can be found at: https://www.poetryoutloud.org/