The Chemistry is Real: The Feebacks Have A Covalent Bond

Lauren+and+Michael+Feeback%2C+both+current+faculty+members+at+SCHS%2C+met+at+Tates+Creek+High+School+while+Mrs.+Feeback+was+student+teaching.++The+couple+has+been+married+for+almost+twenty+years.++
Back to Article
Back to Article

Lauren and Michael Feeback, both current faculty members at SCHS, met at Tates Creek High School while Mrs. Feeback was student teaching.  The couple has been married for almost twenty years.

Lauren and Michael Feeback, both current faculty members at SCHS, met at Tates Creek High School while Mrs. Feeback was student teaching. The couple has been married for almost twenty years.

Submitted by Lauren Feeback

Submitted by Lauren Feeback

Submitted by Lauren Feeback

Scott County is teeming with intense teen romances. No matter how passionate the relationship may seem, the truth of the matter is most high school romances will fizzle out. If teenagers have high hopes of their current relationships lasting longer than a few months, they should be looking for a couple that is an excellent role model.  Instead of looking towards Portia and Ellen, Beyonce and Jay-Z, or even Meghan Markle and Prince Harry, perhaps they should look no further than our very own faculty couple of Michael and Lauren Feeback.

This romance started in 1997 when Mrs. Feeback was still known as Miss Alspach, and she was beginning her student teaching semester at Tates Creek High School in Lexington, KY.  Her life had become a flurry of lesson plans and finding ways to manage classroom behavior, and finding a husband was not one of her top priorities at this point. Little did she know that just down the hall, she would meet someone that would disrupt her plans.

Mrs. Feeback met the science department at Tates Creek for lunch every day; they would eat together, chit chat, and discuss their classes. One fateful day Mrs. Feeback randomly sat next to Mr. Feeback, who was also a teacher in the Tates Creek science department.  After this first meeting, the two continued to get to know each other at lunch and during hall duty.

One day they were talking in the hall joking about their birthdays when Mr. Feeback mentioned his birthday was August 15th. “I thought he was joking,” said Mrs. Feeback when she recounted the story. The two found out that they had the same birthday, although they were born  twelve years apart.

Mrs. Feeback shared that their first date was actually on Valentine’s Day, where they went to see “To Have and Have Not” and had dinner at Ramsey’s.  It was an excellent first date. “Micheal claims to this day that he knew that he was meant to marry me,” said Mrs. Feeback.

While many don’t make such critical decisions so quickly, Mr. Feeback agreed that there was something about Mrs. Feeback that told him that she was indeed the one for him early on in their relationship.  “I had a feeling, a feeling that is difficult to articulate.” But while he was certain that he had met his future wife, he also knew that he needed to wait a while longer before telling Mrs. Feeback that she was the one for him.  Mrs. Feeback agreed with his decision to hold off on sharing that thought with her immediately. She acknowledged that if he had, “I would have run away!”

Love is a choice, not a feeling.”

— Michael Feeback

In the early stages of their courtship, the Feebacks tried to keep their relationship secret from students in an attempt to preserve their professional work relationship. “We didn’t announce our relationship to our peers, but they knew.  Another teacher Joe Pat [Covington] would tease us plenty,” commented Mrs. Feeback. Keeping it quiet, however, led to a few awkward moments. On one occasion the two went out to the mall together and were spotted by a student. “Looking back it is funny, but when we saw our student we scrambled to make up a story about how we needed to get a gift for a fellow teacher,” said Mrs. Feeback. 

You need to find someone who is funny, someone who makes you laugh, because sometimes life is hard.”

— Lauren Feeback

It wasn’t long, though, before the pair made it known that they were ready to form a more permanent bond.  “We were engaged the next November, and married in June of ‘99,” remarked Mrs. Feeback.  The couple has now been married for twenty years and three kids: Katie (14), Andrew (11), and Jackson (1).  Mr. Feeback had this to say on long term relationships.  “Make the right choice before [marriage]… The bottom line of our relationship is based on faith. Understand their values and interests. Lauren liked football…if she didn’t like football, that would have been a problem.”

Mrs. Feeback said, “You need to find someone who is funny, someone who makes you laugh, because sometimes life is hard.”

And when the hard times do come, couples need to remember that love is not always like how it’s depicted in movies, and that love sometimes means to show grace and understanding to one another.  Mr. Feeback said, “Love is a choice, not a feeling.”