New Year, New Goals: SCHS Students Set Their Resolutions For 2019

The start of a new year is the perfect time to set some goals.

Photo hosted at https://www.northwesternmedicalcenter.org/ask-jill/suggestions-healthy-new-years-resolutions/

With a new year beginning, it’s time for another resolution to be made for many students at Scott County High School. It’s a common tradition to make a goal to develop a simpler or healthier lifestyle. A new year is a chance to change your habits and make the new year better than the last.

Many students strive to improve the new year by setting a goal to be more successful in school. Doing better in school can mean getting better grades, learning more or doing more distinguished work. “My new year’s resolution is to maintain my good grades this semester. I’m working to be, hopefully, one of the best in my class,” stated sophomore Caroline Bohannon. 

Another popular resolution among teens is to develop good and healthy habits this new year. Some are attempting to create an exercise routine that will improve their health and make it more convenient to stay active during a busy week. Others look for healthier meal options or meal plans to reduce risk of health complications at the present time and in the future.  “I plan to incorporate more vegetables into my diet, so I’ll have more energy for track and in general,” said sophomore Sophia Vetter-Ryan. 

I plan to incorporate more vegetables into my diet, so I’ll have more energy for track and in general.”

— Sophia Vetter-Ryan

Teens aren’t only taking physical health into consideration but also their mental health. Reducing stress and negativity is also an objective among many teens this new year.  Sophomore Sean Eifert explained his New Year’s resolution. “I try to be positive, but it’s very hard for me; so this year I am trying to not complain as much.”

Some teens make a resolution to improve their social skills or grow their experiences. Making new friends, or developing the friendships they already have is yet another common resolution. Junior Stephanie Carter recently moved to Scott County, “Since this is my first year here, I don’t know that many people, so I want to make more friends in 2019.” This can also include working to improve a hobby or learning a new skill for the purpose of developing their personal achievements.

Furthermore the new year is a great time to start something new. For many teens it is an opportunity to make better choices, or to improve the qualities they already possess. Some have aspirations to obtain a more successful academic school year, others make goals to consciously make healthier choices and many make resolutions to expand friendships/experiences/personal achievements. All of which are positive ways to make the new year better than the last.