The Cardinal Spirit

The Cardinal Spirit

SCHS Makes History at State KYA Conference

Junior+Sammy+Smith+made+history+for+SCHS+when+he+was+elected+governor+at+the+2018+KYA+conference.++
Back to Article
Back to Article

Junior Sammy Smith made history for SCHS when he was elected governor at the 2018 KYA conference.

Submitted by Maggie Brewer

Submitted by Maggie Brewer

Submitted by Maggie Brewer

Sophie Kindel, Staff Reporter

On November 15-17, 2018, Scott County High School Y-Club attended KYA, a statewide mock high school government conference. Scott County did remarkably well this year. Senior Emily Sumrall served as a presiding officer of the event, and junior Sammy Smith was elected to be next year’s governor. Sammy made history for SCHS in that he was the first Scott County representative to be elected as governor.

At KYA, students from across the state compose bills addressing statewide issues and solutions they see fit. The bills are presented in the conference’s House and Senate where delegates rank the bill’s quality and then vote on whether or not they should be passed.

This year, Smith ran a campaign focusing on the legalization of recreational marijuana and fixing the teacher’s pension crisis. The competition for the governor this year was quite fierce, but Smith was able to earn the most votes, coming out ahead over 12 other candidates.

The announcement of his victory was filled with hoorays and tears of joy. The club’s president, Tristan Black, junior, said “Witnessing someone from Scott County finally win the highest possible office was the equivalent of the entire club getting over a hurdle that has burdened us for years. Not only was Sammy’s election a personal success, it was also a victory for Scott County’s Y club as a whole.”

Additionally junior Andrew Hall was elected as an outstanding delegate on the last day of the conference. Smith and Black were also elected as outstanding speakers. These awards come from those who make many exceptional pro/con speeches on other delegate’s bills through the conference.

Additionally bill authors Paxton Turner and Evan Martin, both seniors,  had their bill signed into law. This is not an easy process as the bill must be passed through the House, Senate and then approved by the conference’s presiding governor. Many bills do not make it past the final step per unconstitutionality, exemplifying the fact that this was a great accomplishment. Their bill, commonwealth bill 42, was an act to require all employers to give employees paid leave to vote. There were little con speeches made against it and it was passed with flying colors.

Overall the conference was a great success and Scott County’s students brought great accomodation to the school through our passion for political activism. KYA is a great outlet for students with a passion for change to find their voice and the success of Scott County this year serves as proof.