The Cardinal Spirit

The Cardinal Spirit

Filed under Features

Part-Time Jobs Help Teach Teens Real World Skills

Creed+Carnes%2C+senior%2C+enjoys+his+work+as+a+bagger+at+Kroger.++This+local+grocery+employs+several+SCHS+students.++
Back to Article
Back to Article

Creed Carnes, senior, enjoys his work as a bagger at Kroger.  This local grocery employs several SCHS students.

Creed Carnes, senior, enjoys his work as a bagger at Kroger. This local grocery employs several SCHS students.

Lakyn Russell

Lakyn Russell

Lakyn Russell

For many teens getting a job is a rite of passage, an opportunity to meet new people, to make connections, and to earn some extra cash. However, it’s also a huge responsibility and requires a commitment, a solid work ethic, and professionalism. The bottom line is that a part time job will allow students to prepare for a full-time career.  

Agreeing to take on a part time job is not something that should be done lightly.  Employers want individuals to work for them that are going to follow through with their commitments and to make responsible choices.   Junior Alyssa Devers is employed by Culver’s. “At work I do different things everyday. I work cashier, but sometimes I will work drive through or cleaning the dining room.”

Devers explained how maintaining a job has helped her develop her skills. “Having a job has definitely taught me responsibility and how to be independent. It has also brought me out of my comfort zone and increased my social skills. However, having a job means I had to give up certain things and learn to prioritize.”

Deciding to accept a part-time job can encourage teens to be hardworking and diligent.  Junior Hunter Westenhofer described what he typically does as a Culver’s team member. “There are three main positions I do at work: make custard, operate the drive thru, and take orders at the registers.”  Working in the fast food industry requires one to have a work ethic, and helps individuals learn to pace themselves to meet the requirements of the job.

Every job has its own set of difficulties, but the difficult moments also held solidify one’s work ethic. Sophomore Kaleigh Hunt stated that the most challenging part of working at Sonic is working the ice cream machines. “It’s difficult. It has to be done at a fast pace.  Mixing up orders on time and making sure everything’s in it is stressful.”

While maintaining a part-time job has benefits, it can be a struggle sometimes for high school students. Sophomore Austin Mullannix explained one of the less than desirable aspects of having a job. “The downs are like having to work weekends and [waiting on] customers that are not that nice.”

Finding time to fit everything in is also sometimes an issue.  Westenhofer stated, “The downside of having a job is that sometimes I get less than the ideal amount of sleep. However, having a job really helps with time management, developing independence, and simply having more money to do what you want.”