The Cardinal Spirit

The Cardinal Spirit

Filed under Clubs, News

Spreading Joy: NHS Raises Funds to Bring Christmas to Scott County Kids

• Lisa Hamilton encourages her students to be kind daily, and the Trim-A-Tree contest gives her them opportunity to help others in their community.

Photo Submitted

• NHS students gave up part of their Saturday on December 14th to purchase gifts for 9 Salvation Army angels.

Shanna Patton

• Over $2000 was raised this year through the Trim-A-Tree competition.

Shanna Patton

• National Honors Society students were able to purchase gifts for nine Scott County children ranging from infant to teens thanks to this year's Trim-A-Tree competition.

Shanna Patton

For many years, Trim-A-Tree has been a widely recognized tradition in the classrooms of Scott County High School. It is a student run event, organized by SCHS’s National Honors Society (NHS), that focuses on providing toys for the Salvation Army’s Angel Tree program.  This year, our school raised a total of $2,000 through Trim-A-Tree, which provided gifts for 9 angels.

Club members promoted the event by creating signs and posting them around the school, and prepared by cutting out paper trees to display on teacher’s doors and a large number of ornaments for the competition, and there were several different ways NHS members could get involved, ranging from preparations to the actual selection of gifts. NHS member Faith Cox explained that her role in the program was “to hang the ornaments up on the teacher’s trees” everyday during Card Time.

During the two week period leading up to winter break, teachers competed in gathering money and support from their students, with which they purchased either paper ornaments for the Christmas tree on their door or coal to put on another teacher’s tree. These ornaments and pieces of coal are assigned point values, and are totaled at the end of the event.  The teacher with the highest amount of ornaments is awarded a donut and hot chocolate party for their classes, while second place teacher receives a cookie party for their classes.

When the competition came to a close, social teachers teachers Bonnie Lewis and her students had earned first place bragging rights, closely followed by Lisa Hamilton’s classes.  

Social studies teacher Lisa Hamilton has always been one of SCHS’s strongest supporters of the Trim-A-Tree competition. “I tell my kiddos every day when they leave my room ‘go and be kind to someone.’  I would not be practicing what I preach if I did not have my students contribute to others in need.  Most students want to be involved they just need a little guidance to get them where they want to go,” she explained. 

Pullquote Photo

I tell my kiddos every day when they leave my room ‘go and be kind to someone.’  I would not be practicing what I preach if I did not have my students contribute to others in need.  Most students want to be involved they just need a little guidance to get them where they want to go.”

— Lisa Hamilton, teacher

Though Trim-A-Tree is an exciting competition within the school, it is important to also remember our purpose through this event and the impact that we can make. Many kids, even here in our own county, will not experience the excitement of receiving a gift this holiday season.